We are grateful to The McKnight Foundation, who awarded the SE Como Improvement Association (SECIA) a $75,000 grant in July 2010 to continue work on Como Green Village projects! We also presently have project support from the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency to pilot our Move-in/Move-out (MIMO) neighborhood free store in the spring and fall of 2010.
Major funders of the Southeast Como Improvement Association & related projects include:
- City of Minneapolis Neighborhood & Community Relations (NCR), Community Participation program (2011)
- The McKnight Foundation, Region and Communities program (2005, 2007, 2010)
- The Minnesota Pollution Control Agency (MPCA), Pollution Prevention grant (2009-11)
- Neighborhood Revitalization Program (NRP), ongoing support (pre-2000 through 2011)
- The Office of Environmental Assistance, Pollution Prevention Grant (2003)
- The Bush Foundation, Ecological Health program (2003)
- Headwaters Foundation for Social Justice (2000, 2001)
Additional project funding has come from:
- Mississippi Watershed Management Organization (MWMO) – Talmadge Crossing plantings (2011), Como Corner rainwater catchment design (2009), raingarden installations (2008), Bridal Veil Pond restoration (2003-5)
- Good Neighbor Fund, University of MInnesota Stadium Mitigation fund (2008, 2009, 2010)
- Coca Cola Partnership with the University of Minnesota (Como Green Village Day – 2009, 2010)
- Beautiful U Day on behalf of the University of Minnesota SECIA student group (Earth Day – 2006, 2007, 2008)
- City of Minneapolis Climate Change Micro-grant – clothesline project (2007)
- Rock-Tenn Company–grant writing activities (2006-2007)
- Community Power grant–organic yard care (2005-2006)
- Fiskars Orange Thumb Tool Grant – community garden tools (2004)
- Minnesota Horticultural Society Demo Day Grant (2004)
- MN Join Together grant – party task force support (2003-2004)
- MN ReLeaf – tree planting (1999)
Tree Trust grants – planting trees in Como
Along with generous contributions from individuals, businesses, and neighbors including our industrial “Good Neighbors” by agreement which are Ritrama Inc, Rock-Tenn Company, and Greatbatch Globe Tool.
Most of our outside funding has gone to support specific environmental initiatives including our Como Green Village initiative sponsored by the McKnight Foundation.
In addition to foundation support we have received financial contributions and in-kind support from numerous Como businesses. We have also received direct contributions from community members to help support the organization.
SECIA is actively seeking funding to replace conventional NRP funding shortfalls and have an ad-hoc Fundraising Committee that generally meets the end of each month. If you would like to become more active in SECIA’s fundraising efforts or would like to contribute please contact the office at 612-676-1731.